Social & Environmental Conservation Activities
To realize “People’s Happiness” by offering a “Rich Dietary Life”, as we value the blessings of nature, which are the sauces of food production, we will implement earth-conscious corporate activities which should be the foundation for sustainable social development under the corporate message of "Finding the Best Distribution Solutions.“ We think a “Rich Dietary Life” consists of the purchase of safe and secure products at reasonable prices for everyone, the enjoyment of diverse food that is rich in seasonality and regional characteristics, and the inheritance and nurturing of food culture. We think “People’s Happiness” consists of family get-togethers, bonds with other people, and a healthy and wholesome life.
To perpetually continue to offer a "Rich Dietary Life" and contribute to the achievement of a sustainable society, we conduct our corporate activities based on the following policies:
1. We set environmental targets and implement environmental preservation activities. In conjunction with this, we put effort into responses for the prevention of environmental pollution and climate change that affect food production, improve environmental performance, and continually improve the environmental management system.
2. We comply with applicable laws and regulations and other agreed requirements.
3. As environmental preservation activities, we focus on the following items:
Response to global warming
- Reduction of electricity usage at our business establishments
- Reduction of light diesel oil usage by building an efficient logistics system
- Reduction of energy usage in production activities
Promotion of a recycling-oriented society
- Reduction of the occurrence of discarded products through appropriate inventory control
- Recycling of packages through appropriate segregation
Promotion of CSR activities
- Implementation of CSR activities in which the company and employees work as one
4. We thoroughly disseminate this environmental policy to all employees and announce this policy publicly.
Established in March 1, 2004
Revised in October 1, 2016
KATO SANGYO CO., LTD.
Acquisition of ISO 14001
To realize a society that co-exists with nature
To enhance efforts for environmental preservation, we have actively promoted acquiring ISO 14001 which is the international standard. As a result, we have acquired the certification in our 55 sites across the country.
|KATO SANGYO CO., LTD.||46sites|
|Kato Logistics Co., Ltd.||3sites|
|K-Teion Foods Co., Ltd.||4sites|
|Wakayama Sangyo Co., Ltd.||2sites|
Prevention of Global Warming
At KATO SANGYO, the entire company puts effort into the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions such as CO2, etc., which will become the cause for global warming.
With the enforcement of the Kyoto Protocol, the demand for countermeasures against global warming grew and in order for KATO SANGYO to contribute to sustainable development while having a harmonious coexistence with the global environment, we comprehensively put effort into the reduction of CO2 emissions through the "Efforts on Creating Renewable Energy: Energy Creation" and "Efforts on Reducing Energy Usage: Energy Saving."
Reduction of CO2 emissions
We have been comprehensively putting effort into the reduction of CO2 emissions associated with energy usage in each business activity setting including "Transportation" "Offices/logistics centers" and "Production", based on the data in FY 2013 as the benchmark.
- Updating to energy-saving air-conditioning equipment
- Updating to energy-saving boilers
- Updating to energy-saving freezing and refrigeration facilities
- Introduction of energy-saving lighting facilities (LEDs, etc.)
- Updating to energy-saving air-conditioning equipment
- Updating to energy-saving refrigeration facilities
- The introduction of a demand monitoring system
- Relaxation of store arrival time
- Decreased delivery frequency
- Selection of the number of necessary vehicles according to the day of the week wave
- Improvement of the load efficiency
- Selection of effective delivery courses
As a result of these efforts, we could reduce CO2 emissions by 5.5% in total as compared to FY 2013 and by 18.9% in the basic unit per sales.
Changes in CO2 Emissions as a Total of the Entire Company
CO2 emissions（as compared to FY 2013）
Reduced by 5.5%
Reduced by 18.9%
in the basic unit per sales
Breakdown of CO2 Emissions in FY 2017
By promoting not only the reduction of CO2 emissions from our group's businesses but also the efforts to create renewable energy, we have been putting effort into the comprehensive reduction of CO2 emissions.
We installed photovoltaic power generation systems with a total generation capacity of 2,784 kW on the roofs of our 9 sites.
Installation status of photovoltaic power generation system
About CSR Activities
KATO SANGYO Group thinks that we would like to be
a "friendly company" to those who are involved with us.
Products to support natural disastar Reconstruction
Since June 2011, we have produced and sold "Kanpy 780g Jam (five items in the series)" in which a donation to support those affected by natural disaster such as the Great East Japan Earthquake is included in the price.
Donations so far have been used to support earthquake disaster orphans, etc., in Iwate Prefecture, Miyagi Prefecture, and Fukushima Prefecture through the contacts in the affected areas.
Eco-Friendly Cap Activity
We began the eco-friendly cap activity in FY 2011. Currently, we provide caps to the recycling vendor which makes a donation of their selling profit to the "Japan Committee, Vaccines for the World's Children (JCV)."
Changes in the Results of Cap Collection
The entire company began collecting caps in FY 2013 and the cumulative total of the collected caps at the end of September 2017 was about 1,260,000.
If converting this number into vaccines, it will be for about 1,518 children*.
*The calculation was done based on 830 caps per vaccine.